Where to start development of your platformer game?
Generally game development has not been a lucrative business and is mostly for hobbyists which want to just develop something really fun and awesome. Which is why this article will point you in the right direction to start thinking about how to create your platformer game in such a way that it can be captivating for your player and make it fun. The technical details we will point you in the right direction as well so that you can actually start to build your game. Here is an awesome tutorial series on platformer game development. We highly recommend following this series to get more insight into the actual programming of the game. There is a video tutorial and many graphical illustrations of how it is done.
What will help make my platformer game fun?
The biggest issues often faced in platformer games are the frustration that it can often bring to the player. Things such as :
- Confusing environments often this happens with too much movement in the background. This can cause the player to loose focus of what actually needs to be achieved. Make it easier for them to understand your level in your platformer.
- Hazard clearance distances, often there is a hazard which a player needs to avoid. Don’t make it close to impossible to avoid, this will not challenge your player but rather give them a feeling of failure and frustration.
- Gravity often plays a role, make it a little fun by allowing your player to move in a direction while in the air after jumping. This just gives them some extra control and allows them to master new ways of completing tasks in the level.
- Power ups and rewards, it’s good to reward your player for completing challenges. Even though this is advised do not grant your player special items too easily. This might make the game lose it’s challenge factor or ambitious factor. Keep your player greedy and ambitious to get the next thing which they need to level up or improve their player.
- Create interaction and mystery elements to your game. For example killing an enemy gives your player the ability to use the enemy to throw something at another enemy.
Platformer game development resources
In this platform game development tutorial you will learn to build something similar to this:
platformer game development tutorial